Dengue Fever Symptoms, Treatment & Prevention: Dengue fever is a serious mosquito-borne disease that mostly occurs in tropical and subtropical places of the world, especially in Southeast Asia and Pacific islands. Some of the common symptoms of dengue are fever, muscles & pain and rashes, If you are experiencing above mentioned signs it is highly advised to get a check-up done at the earliest.
Dengue is a virus, so there is no specific treatment or cure. However, there are things a doctor can do to help, depending on the severity of the fever. Tylenol or Paracetamol can ease pain and reduce fever. Avoid pain relievers that cause to increase bleeding complications such as ibuprofen, aspirin, Advil and others.
For severe forms of dengue fever, the treatment methods are:
- Supportive care in a hospital
- Intravenous (IV) fluid and electrolyte replacement
- Transfusion to replace blood loss
- Blood pressure monitoring
- Your doctor may recommend that you drink plenty of fluids to reduce dehydration from vomiting and high fever
Image Credit: www.oyibosonline.com
If you are living in tropical places where dengue fever is common, these tips help reduce your risk of mosquito bites:
- Stay in an air-conditioned or well-screened home– The mosquitoes that carry the dengue disease are most active from dawn to dusk, and they can also bite at night.
- Wear protective clothing– When you go into mosquito-infested areas, wear a long-sleeved clothes, long pants, socks, and shoes.
- Reduce mosquito habitat– The mosquitoes that carry the dengue disease usually live in and around homes, breeding in standing water that can collect in such things as used automobile tires. diminish the breeding habitat to lower mosquito populations.
- Use mosquito repellent -Permethrin can be applied to your clothing, shoes, and bed netting. You can also buy clothing made with permethrin already in it.