The monthly cycle can disrupt about every system in your body, especially your digestive system like (bloating, diarrhoea) and similar period problems every month. There are several foods for periods that can help to cut or at least reduce those pesky period symptoms. Let’s have a look at some of the foods to avoid while menstruating.
Foods You Should Avoid During Menstruation Period
Frozen foods, fast foods, canned soups, pickles papad etc contain unknown ingredients and preservatives that aren’t the good foods during your period. They can hamper hormones and amplify PMS discomfort.
Most fried foods like chips, biscuits etc contain trans-fats or hydrogenated vegetable oil. All of these can increase oestrogen levels and can worsen your mood swings.
although alcohol may reduce cramps temporarily but can increases oestrogen levels, hence worsening period symptoms.
Foods High In Fats
It the facts that skin is already sensitive during these days- incorrect food choices during your period can make worse and cause it to become more dry and dehydrated. Fats influence hormones, lead to pains and can cause you to feel gassy. Avoid fatty meats, burgers and creamy desserts.
Foods With A High Salt Content
Canned soups, bread, snacks etc should be avoided because they are high in salt. A high salt diet will cause a gassy, bloated feeling.
Dairy products like milk, cream and cheese aren’t recommended as they are high in arachidonic acid which can act as a induce for menstrual pain.
Foods You Should Eat During Menstruation Period
Women must care about what you’re eating and eat in control when you’re on your period.
- Choose buttermilk and toned milk- both of which are recommended period food.
- Choose whole wheat bread, simple dal-chawal with yoghurt or toss up a salad or salmon and lean meats etc.
- Try to consume homemade meals, lots of salads and veggies, and heart and tummy warming’s foods like khichadi and porridge,
- Virgin mojitos, coconut water, watered down lassi, all of which will keep you hydrated and are recommended period foods.
- Put together a salad with leafy greens likes palak (spinach) and methi (fenugreek) seed and nuts and fruits like banana keeps the period pain away.
- Choose Homemade chapattis and brown rice and whole grains, which will not only keep your digestive system on track but will also keep hunger cramps at bay.